Apple & Berry Crumble
When I was growing up, I wouldn’t eat any fruit, so just ate the crumble off the top. Haha! Luckily for me that’s not the case any more (thanks Mum for persisting!), and I can enjoy this wonderful dessert in its entirety. Just as good for breakfast as well.
Serves 4 – 6
- 800 g peeled and cored granny smith apples, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup water
- 150 g frozen raspberries (or blackberries or blueberries)
- 120 g ground almonds
- 50 g tapioca flour
- 50 g flaked almonds
- 40 g sunflower seeds
- 40 g desiccated coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- 140 g butter or coconut oil, cold, chopped into small cubes or grated
- 90 g honey
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ Fan.
- Place the apples, cinnamon and water into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft but still holding shape.
- Meanwhile, to make the crumble, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until all combined. There should still be some small chunks of butter. Mix in the honey.
- Once the apples are cooked, stir in the frozen berries, then tip into a medium baking dish. Evenly top with the crumble mixture, then place into the oven for around 30 minutes, or until golden. You can serve this by itself or with cream, ice cream or custard.